Morris County Library, for close to a century, has grown from traveling bookmobile to books, media and the Internet. Read our full timeline(PDF, 593KB), or check out highlights below:
- The Morris County Library (MCL) began operations in 1922, a year after Morris County residents voted to support a library. (See October 6, 1921 statement(PDF, 244KB) from the library committee on benefits to the community in a yes vote for new taxes, November 1921.)
- Miss Edith L. Smith was hired as County Librarian, beginning work on July 1, 1922.
- By the end of the year, 10,087 books had been catalogued and 99 library stations had been set up in country stores, schools and town libraries.
- A library car was purchased to travel throughout the county, delivering books to the stations and 83,000 residents.
- On November 18, 1968, MCL moved from the county courthouse in Morristown, to its present location on Hanover Avenue.
- In 2000, a two-story addition was put on the front of the building. The old building was completely renovated to provide County residents with a 21st century facility.
Today, MCL serves nearly 500,000 people and joins with municipal libraries in Morris, Hunterdon, Somerset and Warren counties through the Main Library Alliance.
A history of the County Library is available in our collection.